I now have two offerings for sale as patterns.
The hand stitching cord pattern as printable sheets with instructions
And Midna has been updated to include skirt design patterns.
And 3D print ready.
Sized to about 3 inches long by 2 wide. The bottom crossover looks weird, but that’s the way it is on the game model, it doesn’t twist together until the last vine bit. I left out the center red gem because it’ll look better if you insert your own clear gem rather than painting it as part of the thing. The very middle bar should be cut off before mounting. I’m going to ask my friend to do a test print and see how big the holes at the top actually are, and if the weird beak tips come out okay.
Saved as an STL file, should be no problems with it.
Finally started True Form Midna’s forehead pendant thing. I think I’m going to chop off the head of the bird/snake thing and start over- it’s lumpy and I don’t like it. Once I fix or re-do the head, I’ll mirror it and adjust the crossings. The final product should be around 3 inches long at most. It’s kinda big but not super big.
A friend of mine who I hope will be a co-worker soon just got a Maker Bot 3D printer. Ours isn’t up and running yet, and she’s offered to test print some things for me, possibly helping me sell some items too. Hers can only handle stuff up to around 4 inches by 4 inches, but that’s enough for some of the cosplay pieces I need, and some I can sell.
The PDF has complete instructions for making the cloak. Later versions will include the skirt and other items. Midna is my first true costume love, and I still haven’t really retired her, even if I haven’t worn her in over a year.
Purchasing the file also gets you the above pattern that can be printed out full size for someone who is between 5’5″ and 5’8″. Any more or less, and I’ll do an adjustment and save out a new file, otherwise it can be difficult to position and keep in proportion.
Also, Midna related.
Should be available for voting on in the Halloween contest soon.
I’m calling this ‘done’. There may be a few other things I could do, but I’m pretty happy with it.
Saturday photo from Animazement of myself as Imp Midna and my good friend Mary as Wolf Link. This weekend was amazing and I love seeing my friends and hanging out with them in and out of epic costume time. The reactions I got were beyond wonderful and much photo mobbing was had.
The glow on my suit is more reflective tape. I haven’t seen any other Midna’s do it, and I’m looking forward to a real photoshoot (SOON) with my puppy in more convincing surroundings. The hair is a giant fleece ponytail that I gradient dyed. I really love the effect and am just completely thrilled with how it came out. I may replace it with a (lot of) real wigs bundled together but I kinda like it just the way it is.
I totally forgot to post this here!
Finished Midna Helm!
WIP – Midna’s helmet.
I needed to take a break from working on commissions and to keep myself from going insane during a 7 day work week. I wasn’t able to work on my commissions, but I was able to throw time at the helmet while spending time with my husband. I probably should have kept better track of time, but I believe this is currently over 15 hours of work, possibly 20. The layers of sealant and paint won’t take up too much time, but it may depend on how I decide to finish the final layer of paint. I want shine, but not too much. The helmet in game is almost like ore – not shiny like metal, but not entirely rocky either. It’s a weird mix. The fact that there are broken bits and cracks makes me think it’s not pure metal, but it’s not polished granite either. That said, a granite type finish might be a good idea, with speckles. hmm..
This thing is HUGE. When I started on this journey (haha) I knew I wanted to make it as proportional as possible to the original Imp form of Midna, who is of course very small and stout. This helmet is about two feet wide and the crown is a full 40 inches around. I have a lot of extra space inside the helmet, so after this thing is painted and sealed, the next step will be adding interior padding so it’s comfortable, and of course, the ears need to be added. Looking back at the model, I should probably add a half inch rim all the way around the bottom edge of the top half of the crown. WHEE MORE GLUE.
… This thing is going to be HEAVY. I haven’t even added the wig yet. Which may be fleece.
Materials: Several butchered anti-fatigue floor mats, nearly 24 sticks of very large hot glue sticks (about 3 wasted and discarded), thick floral foam wire, some craft foam for raised areas, model magic for the rope snake and other raised puffy areas and elmers glue for sealant before painting. The white stuff was my first attempt to seal the helmet with spackle. It didn’t really work. The front piece of the helmet is lined on the outside edge with Worbla, for strength and to resist denting should I drop it. I had some gap issues with it though, so I decided not to use it on the rest of the crown.
I found the original textures and blew them up, by a lot. It messes with the details a bit, but I was able to cut an exact replica with the edges. The front piece is exactly the right shape. I do have a tiny bit of an issue where the crown is about an inch or so too high – you shouldn’t be able to see the blocks above the rim of the front piece of the helmet, but I think it looks okay. I can’t cut any more off the bottom edge, nor off the top and the only other option is remaking either the crown or the front piece, and neither of those is going to happen.
I forgot I made these a few months ago!