WIP – Midna’s helmet.
I needed to take a break from working on commissions and to keep myself from going insane during a 7 day work week. I wasn’t able to work on my commissions, but I was able to throw time at the helmet while spending time with my husband. I probably should have kept better track of time, but I believe this is currently over 15 hours of work, possibly 20. The layers of sealant and paint won’t take up too much time, but it may depend on how I decide to finish the final layer of paint. I want shine, but not too much. The helmet in game is almost like ore – not shiny like metal, but not entirely rocky either. It’s a weird mix. The fact that there are broken bits and cracks makes me think it’s not pure metal, but it’s not polished granite either. That said, a granite type finish might be a good idea, with speckles. hmm..
This thing is HUGE. When I started on this journey (haha) I knew I wanted to make it as proportional as possible to the original Imp form of Midna, who is of course very small and stout. This helmet is about two feet wide and the crown is a full 40 inches around. I have a lot of extra space inside the helmet, so after this thing is painted and sealed, the next step will be adding interior padding so it’s comfortable, and of course, the ears need to be added. Looking back at the model, I should probably add a half inch rim all the way around the bottom edge of the top half of the crown. WHEE MORE GLUE.
… This thing is going to be HEAVY. I haven’t even added the wig yet. Which may be fleece.
Materials: Several butchered anti-fatigue floor mats, nearly 24 sticks of very large hot glue sticks (about 3 wasted and discarded), thick floral foam wire, some craft foam for raised areas, model magic for the rope snake and other raised puffy areas and elmers glue for sealant before painting. The white stuff was my first attempt to seal the helmet with spackle. It didn’t really work. The front piece of the helmet is lined on the outside edge with Worbla, for strength and to resist denting should I drop it. I had some gap issues with it though, so I decided not to use it on the rest of the crown.
I found the original textures and blew them up, by a lot. It messes with the details a bit, but I was able to cut an exact replica with the edges. The front piece is exactly the right shape. I do have a tiny bit of an issue where the crown is about an inch or so too high – you shouldn’t be able to see the blocks above the rim of the front piece of the helmet, but I think it looks okay. I can’t cut any more off the bottom edge, nor off the top and the only other option is remaking either the crown or the front piece, and neither of those is going to happen.